Jan. 10, 2013 –
We have updates on two fires that happened in Hall County earlier this month.
The fire that occurred on January 2 on Mill Street has been confirmed as accidental.
According to Capt. Scott Cagle, Hall County Fire Marshal, Both Hall County Fire Investigators and Insurance investigators have indicated the fire originated in the area of a small diameter extension cord used for multiple items.
Authorities said the fire destroyed a duplex that was home to a family of four.
Another fire occurred on 2 days ago on Branch Street.
This time, according to Capt. Cagle, when firefighters arrived to the scene the fire had already been extinguished by the occupants with a fire extinguisher.
Smoke alarms alerted the residents, who awoke and one used a fire extinguisher while the other was exiting and calling 9-1-1.
Cagle said, This was a “textbook” call where the smoke alarm did its job and the residents did too, by safely extinguishing the small fire and exiting the structure.
According to officials, the only fire damage was to a couch and minor smoke damage to the structure. This fire also was caused by an extension cord used for an electric space heater.
The fire marshal saidiIt is pretty common for occupants to use extension cords in older homes that may not have adequate electrical outlets.
Of course they recommend against this practice as it will eventually, lead to fires.